Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Luxury of Working at Home and Other Simple Pleasures

One of the things I enjoy most about academia is being able to work where I choose, for the most part. I'm trying to work at home 2 days per week this semester; so far I've only managed one day per week at home working. It seems the longer I'm in academia, the more meetings I have and the less time I have to think and write. Why is that?

Fall semesters always seem busier than spring semesters to me for some reason. Maybe it is because they start just after ASAs (our national sociology conference) and then the holidays hit, you're trying to get ready for visits with family, shopping, etc.

I sometimes wonder if a simpler life would be better. My brother has said for years that he wants to move to Alaska and live in a simple cabin. I'm sure that's not for me, but I wonder if there are ways that we could simplify our lives . . . maybe I'll try to think about that today, in between reading articles for my grad class, finding receipts for reimbursement, rescheduling meetings, etc. . . . at least I'll be doing them from the quiet comfort of my home...

1 comment:

Dave said...

I have found it hard to work at home without a high-speed Internet connection. We are getting one installed in the next few weeks. I also found that the computer has to be centrally located, otherwise our kids move us away from the computer to that central location for any of a hundred reasons! Just some musings...