Thursday, October 15, 2009

How Am I Spending My Fall Break?

I had originally planned that Callen and I would go to NC and visit with friends and family during my fall break. I also wanted to take her to the NC State Fair. I loved it growing up and as a young adult. I haven't been in years and I thought we'd have fun doing this. And, the Alabama one is tiny and a waste of time in my opinion. The Maryland one when we lived there wasn't much better either.

But, the reality set in and I decided there's no way we could do this trek to NC. It is a whole day in the car each way unfortunately. If Express Jet still did their non-stop flights to Raleigh (no airlines have direct flights to RDU from B'ham now unfortunately) I would have probably gone but without this it was just too much of a trek!

So, here I am on the first day of my fall break. So far today, I've:
- taken Callen to school
- bought bagels for home
- done 3 loads of laundry
- edited a job letter for a new undergrad research assistant I'm bringing on to my XO project
- reviewed and made comments on a report I need to give to the school system on my XO project
- checked email, Facebook, and Twitter (a few times!)
- and thought about the multitude of other things I need to do today.

I think I and perhaps other academics often think of fall break as a time to have a short break from our regular routine and a brief time to refresh before classes resume. Unfortunately, I don't think mine will be that way this year.

On the positive side though: It is good to work at home today, and I didn't have to get to my office at 7 in time to do some work before my 8 AM class. Sleeping a little later is always a good thing!

Maybe next year Callen and I can go to the fair!

No comments: