Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ambient Awareness and Intimacy

My friend Zeynep was quoted in a NY Times Magazine article, http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/magazine/07awareness-t.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin, on the use of Facebook. The article is a good read and the author discusses how people are increasingly using Facebook and other technologies to monitor the behaviors of others (both strong and weak ties).

I was at a department party tonite and a colleague's husband was there. On his FB status update today he noted that he'd gone to a bootcamp workout class this morning and he was really out of shape. I asked him about it at the party and I could tell that he was surprised that I knew about it. I then mentioned that I saw his status update on FB. He laughed; he's new to FB. I'm guessing his ambient awareness level will increase over time.

How do you use FB or other technologies to stay in contact with others? Do you like having ambient awareness and/or intimacy?

2 comments:

Clan Hill said...

I would have to understand how to use facebook before I can answer that question.

Katherine Moak said...

I usually update my status to either start conversation with whomever finds it interesting or to vent about whatever's on my mind at the time. I like to read the status updates as it gives me a short connection with those whom I might not see on a regular basis. Of course, I know that there are social dangers lurking out there. Just have to be aware -- you never know how someone will take a comment. Everyone has his or her own interpretation of what they read.