Saturday, August 9, 2008

Dear John,

I've always held a soft spot for you. I'm sure this is, in part, because I'm from North Carolina too. I thought you held such promise as a presidential candidate. You were a small town lawyer who went up against the evil giants who prey on our society. I thought you could actually effect change in our society.

Your wife's book inspired me and brought me to tears many times as I read about the life experiences of your family. Although your family has experienced great tragedy, you seemed like such a great family that could prevail even after great tragedies.

How saddened I was this morning to hear that you had an affair. I read the NY Times story, http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/09/us/politics/09edwards.html?th&emc=th and felt so sad. I don't know why I should expect you to hold higher standards than many in our society do; maybe it was from seeing your earnest appeals on TV or from reading Elizabeth's book...I don't know. I just know that I am sad this morning. . .

3 comments:

Clan Hill said...

I must say, I was surprised too. What a scumbag! Am I allowed to say that on a family blog? That was the toned down version of the word I wanted to use.

Jason Nolan said...

I'm sad for america, not outraged at him. Though I respect religious faiths and moral values, when they become the one non-negotiable criteria for public office, then you create the situation where this sort of thing happens (not that someone does something wrong in their personal life, but that they're destroyed for it). I couldn't live in a theocracy, I guess.

I thought it telling that Pres. Mitterand of France would have his wife and mistress attend his funeral.

I don't condone the activity. But I condemn the plubicification of it all. It was indeed a sad day.

See you in Copenhagen!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.