Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mana From Heaven

My mother and my grandmother could both make the best homemade biscuits. It was typical at many points when I was growing up that once a day my mother would make homemade biscuits, usually for supper. She could whip out a pan of biscuits in no time! It was amazing to see.

I had my mother give me her 'recipe' for how she made the biscuits when we moved to Boston for my postdoc. Of course, her 'recipe' was not specific (i.e., pour in some milk) so my biscuits have never turned out as well as hers did. In fact, I've only tried making them a few times and they've never been very edible in my opinion.

I guess it had been a few years since I had last tried to make biscuits. It is too easy to buy the frozen Pillsbury kind, that are tasty though they don't compare to those my mother and grandmother made. One day last week I bought some Bisquick mix at the store. I know, it in no way compares to what my mother and grandmother used to make. However, the biscuits I made with it were much better than the old Bisquick biscuits I remember making years ago. Bo and Callen seemed to like them too.

I wish I had spent more time with my mother, learning how she made certain things. Although I have a few of her recipes, most she only had in her head and now it is too late. Maybe one day I'll find the right balance of ingredients from my mother's 'recipe' and have homemade biscuits that are half as good as hers.

No comments: